Tech 21 Q-Strip EQ and Preamp Pedal
Definitive Vintage-style DI/EQ
The legendary recording consoles of the ’60s and ’70s are the gold standard by which today’s “vintage-style” gear is judged. These hand-wired boards delivered the definitive warmth, girth, and punch that distinguished the hits of the era — and also characterize the best-sounding contemporary equipment, like the Tech 21 Q\Strip. The Q\Strip is a direct box with all-analog MOSFET circuitry and four bands of studio-grade EQ inspired by the coveted tone-shaping circuits of classic console modules. Many iconic guitar and bass parts were recorded DI, direct into the channel strips of these consoles. Now you can do likewise, with a compact, roadworthy DI you can pop in your backpack and take to a gig or the studio.
Prodigious tone-sculpting prowess
With its two parametric mid bands plus high and low shelving filters, the Q\Strip wields prodigious tone-sculpting prowess that gives you exacting control over how your axe sits in — or cuts through — the mix. Separate highpass and lowpass filters further enhance the Q\Strip’s incredible usefulness. Use the LPF, for instance, in conjunction with the EQ section to re-create different speaker cabinet curves for speaker simulation so you can go direct with your favorite FX pedals. The HPF is ideal for cutting the rumble that can accompany instruments when taking them direct.
Impressive versatility in the studio and on the road
The Q\Strip’s versatile gain structure provides amazing flexibility in the studio and on the road. Its very high impedance handles both piezo pickups and low-impedance sources equally well. The XLR output can drive power amps and is fitted with a 20dB pad to accommodate the mic-level inputs on mixers and preamps. Its 1/4″ output features a switchable 10dB boost, which you can use to drive a power amp or push a tube amp into overdrive. At Sweetwater, we’ve found that in addition to electric guitar and bass, the Q\Strip is also great for acoustic-electric guitars, electric violin, and even vocals and other sources you might not have previously considered taking direct. With its fat, punchy vintage-inspired sound and incredible versatility, the Tech 21 Q\Strip belongs in your engineering toolkit.
Tech 21 Q\Strip DI/EQ Features:
- HPF is ideal for cutting the rumble that can accompany instruments when taking them direct
- LPF rolls off unwanted frequencies and can be used as a speaker simulator
- Used together, EQ and LPF let you re-create different speaker cabinet curves for going direct with FX pedals
- Very high impedance handles both piezo pickups and low-impedance sources equally well
- XLR can drive power amps, includes 20dB pad to accommodate mic-level inputs on mixers and preamps
- 1/4″ output fitted with switchable 10dB boost, useful for driving power amps or pushing tube amps into overdrive
- Phantom power via XLR output or optional 9V alkaline battery
- May be powered with optional Tech 21 Model #DC4 power supply
- Smooth-action custom actuator switch
- Rugged, all-metal housing